Over the past few days I have been working to extend upon my knowledge of processing further to create my final project. Following on from my previous blog I explained how my plan was to build up an interactive board of logos which would respond to pixel values captured by a webcam, I have now added logos to the canvas and the working result can be seen below:
By using arrays (as shown in the previous blog) I found that the process of building the logo board to be surprisingly efficient, ultimately I felt a more random process was required to achieve the desired effect in the logo board and the way it reacts to changes in the image seen by the webcam. In short, I tried by best to think of random, unconnected logos to put on the board as the idea behind my project is to show how branding has taken over the world and is now a much larger feature in society than ever before, therefore it would be fitting to try and include logos from as further a field as possible to show how branding is everywhere, sending a message about the worrying permeation it has had on our subconscious as people.
I found I had to try multiple times to ensure I achieved a good balance between the number of logos shown on the screen as well as the size of the logos to ensure it would be easy for the audience to recognise the logo without it necessarily being shown in the correct colours, as well as this as the installation will be based in Weymouth House. I plan to go and test my installation in the next few days to observe how it works when transferred onto the dedicated systems we’ve been given to present our work on. I will also take this opportunity to test the installation with multiple people and observe how well the webcam can react to faster changes in the image seen by the webcam, I have found (and it can be observed in the video) that the logo’s can flash when the colours captured by the webcam change rapidly, I feel this effect can make the installation difficult to view and understand as it is naturally harder to read text that flashes.
In the future I plan to try and adapt my processing project further as my goal at the beginning of the project was to was to make a logo wall which takes a colour value from a pixel captured by the webcam and relates the colour to a logo of a similar colour (inside a pre-determined range) and will light up the logo, to achieve this I will need to seek assistance from my tutor in tomorrow’s workshop as well as attempting to adapt my current code in the necessary ways to ensure the code functions as intended.